Conspiracy theories and personally held beliefs in extraordinary claims actually can be judged critically. Just be prepared for being treated like the guy who tells the kids that Santa isn't real, except the kids are adults and they're everywhere. And you'll be called a Santa hater or some similar nonsense. Lol. Once I was told I have an "anti-UFO bias." 😅🤣 You're talking to a guy who's seen some classic flying saucers with strange lights in the sky twice in 1989 and 1990, which makes me possibly having experienced cognitive episodes (I lean this way), misidentified aerial phenomena, aliens, something yet to be conceived of, or I'm just lying for attention, and I would know if I am lying. Yet, despite my experiences, I am skeptical of them, and of other people's claims of experiences, because I'm aware of how deceptive our brains have been observed to be. Being a trained pilot, or NASA personnel, or hypnotherapist, or religious leader, or shaman, or fill in the blank, doesn't make your interpretation of an experience correct. All claims are subject to the same skeptical analysis. And the "experts" frequently misjudge things.
That being said, “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” Dark matter, dark energy, and the big bang are proof that there is much more to this reality than we have to capacity to scrutinize at this point. Which is why, although I agree with J. Allen Hynek's doubts about the Extraterrestrial Hypothesis, I am open to phenomena being inexplicable at this time. Sorry if that rains on your parade of really cool aliens visiting us. Saying "I know what I saw" is totally ignorant of what we know about how unreliable eyewitness testimony is from decades of research. You cannot always believe your eyes. Why do you think animals all evolved ways to camouflage themselves from predators? It's because brains are easily tricked.
No comments:
Post a Comment